Tuesday, May 09, 2006

NVCC: an insitution of higher uselessness

I still haven't gotten my grades. I spent the morning scouring the website and trying to reach someone who could tell me when they're due. I finally found a document this morning that says grades are due, "Tuesday May 10th", except today is Tuesday May 9th, so which is it?

I sent an email this morning asking when grades were due and got this:

Classes and exam ended on May 8th. Faculty members will be submitting their grades very soon.


No shit dummy, WHEN ARE THEY DUE? I just shot an email to the Provost:

Dr. Saperstone,

As the Provost, I wanted to be sure that you were aware of the confusion and lack of service surrounding grades at NVCC. I have been a part time student since 2001 -- I remember paper grade mailers and have received my grades electronically through NOVANet/NOVAConnect many times.

There is, however, little or no documentation on when professors are supposed to have grades recorded in the online system, and my attempts to get that information have not been very successful. The only reference I can find anywhere on the NVCC website is in a Word document on NVCC Alexandria's page (http://www.nvcc.edu/alexandria/finals_sp06.doc) that says grades are due "Tuesday, May 10th" (today is Tuesday, and tomorrow is May 10th). I spoke to someone in admissions and records at Alexandria who told me they didn't know, "but soon", and I received this response to an email I sent today:

Classes and exam ended on May 8th. Faculty members will be submitting their grades very soon.

Since we no longer receive grades in the mail, the lack of communication as to when grades will be available online traded one frustration (waiting for paper to arrive in the mail) for another (knowing when grades have posted electronically to myNVCC).

I would suggest that in the future, when grades will be posted should be added to the "Important Dates" for that term.

Respectfully,
theAlphaJohn
Career NVCC Student

No comments: